05 January, 2017

Value versus completeness

A while back, one of the sales guys I know intentionally left his job without a new one to go to.  I was surprised at how they were quietly confident that they could land their next gig without any problem - they have lots of practice selling themselves and their products/services.  This is in stark contrast to my technical colleagues who would be freaking out in this situation.  This made me stop and think - what is different given both technical and sales deliver value?  I put it down to how we measure our successes.

Completeness as the measure


I believe technical people usually measure their success by their completeness (breadth/depth/accuracy).  And when I consider my education it was all about being able to prove or demonstrate that I "knew" my material and could apply it across various situations.  Correctness - within a "black box" - was the measure of success.  And let me be clear, correctness is important; we don't want bridges falling down!  Success was a finished product within time, budget and quality constraints.  The why and the value people might get from that product was (understandably) not covered.

Value as the measure


From what I can see of my current gig in technical sales, it is all about value; the value of what you offer, matching that offering to a need (fitness) and finally realising that value (execution).  Identification of your value and their need is just as important as being able to communicate or articulate it in a way that can be consumed.  The measure of success is much simpler; a successful transaction.

Perception and Paradigm


I never realised how skewed my perception was to completeness and how at odds it is with the way the world works.  Looking at nature I see that nothing is immortal (complete), yet everything still thrives in messy imperfection.  In fact, it is that imperfection that can lead to new and wonderful things; incomplete and imperfect is paradoxically the heart of innovation.  Innovation through short iterations ensure that the right value is added (and removed) to be "fit" within an ever changing environment.

Challenge



My challenge is to not fuss about completeness or perfection and focus more on identifying, articulating and delivering value.

No comments: